|Known by default||Yes|
The Furnace is a Craftable Item that can be used to smelt metals. It can be crafted from 15 Stones, 20 Wood and 10 Low Grade Fuel and takes thirty (30) seconds to Craft. Also you can obtain leather if you put some cloth in.
The Furnace can be used after it has been Crafted and Placed, to Place the Furnace you must first craft it and move it to your Hotbar, from here you can move it around until the "Ghost Furnace" has turned Green (Indicating it can be placed) Once the Furnace has been placed it can be operated by a player (Any player can operate it, however only 1 player can use it at a time) and shows an empty 3x3 grid.
To use the Furnace a player must place Wood in it and ignite it.The furnace will burn up to two Wood and create the Smelted Version of the materials every 30 seconds. Players do not have to be near the Furnace for it to operate. A byproduct of the process is Charcoal, which you need to make Gunpowder. Furnaces will smelt 1 Metal Ore and 1 Sulfur Ore per 1 Wood, so it is more efficient to smelt Metal and Sulfur together.
The conversion rates for the furnace are as such per tick:
- The Furnace will not cook food.
- The Furnace is destructible and takes approximately 20 hits with a hatchet to break.
- Low Grade Fuel can be used instead of Wood.
A test was done to see if Low Grade Fuel is worth using over Wood using 2 Furnaces (one with Wood and another with Low Grade Fuel set off at the same time). This test was done 3 times with an increasing number of Wood and Low Grade Fuel . These are the results of that test:
- After using 1 Wood to 1 Low Grade Fuel, both finished at the same time and both yielded the same amount of raw materials.
- After using 5 Wood to 5 Low Grade Fuel, both finished at the same time and both yielded the same amount of raw materials.
- After using 10 Wood to 10 Low Grade Fuel, both finished at the same time and both yielded the same amount of raw materials.
As a result of this, it is probably more efficient to smelt the Ores with Wood because Low Grade Fuel is harder to obtain.